Just like how I titled this recipe, lasagna is a very comforting food. Each time I make lasagna, and it’s not often…I like to vary the ingredients, yet keep it as classic as possible.
For this recipe I managed to find a fancy, made in Italy, no-boil whole sheets of lasagna from Home Goods. The company that makes them is La Fabbrica della Pasta di Gragnano. Within 30 minutes time, we were sitting down and enjoying a feast! And, of course, there is nothing quite like my signature Cheesy Garlic Bread to go alongside the lasagna.
- 1 lb. Grass-fed, organic ground beef (feel free to substitute with lamb or turkey)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed with skin
- 1 small can organic mushroom (1 small basket mushrooms, sliced)
- 1 can organic stewed tomatoes (purchased from Costco)
- 1 jar organic pasta sauce (your choice)
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar (or Garlic Red Wine Vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 Tbsp sweet basil
- Pinch kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 package ready-to-bake lasagna sheets
- 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
(For the meat sauce)
- In a large pan sauté the ground meat for about 10 minutes or until meat is golden brown. Add-in the diced onion, mashed garlic cloves (with skin), mushrooms, and stewed tomatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes or until all ingredients are combined.
- Add-in your choice of pasta sauce, red wine vinegar, along with the herbs. Add-in a pinch of salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Set aside.
(For the lasagna sheet assembly)
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish evenly distributed, spread a layer of meat sauce on top of the lasagna sheet, then top with mozzarella cheese and the ricotta (around 1/5 of the quantity).
- Top again with another lasagna sheet. Repeat the steps to form four other layers. Top the last layer with the meat sauce, and a generous amount of mozzarella cheese. Cover the baking pan with foil and bake until golden brown, around 30 minutes.
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh basil, if desired. This recipe is served with Cheesy Garlic Bread.