I have always been a sucker for pickles eaten alongside main dishes, especially with Filipino food from my culture, such as BBQs and a few of our comforting stews.
This time I opted to use mini cucumbers for Asian-style pickles with only a few simple ingredients and happily incorporating red chili flakes and homegrown spicy Cajun Belle peppers.
• Glass or ceramic container with an airtight seal.
• 4 mini Persian or English cucumbers, sliced
• 1/2 cup rice vinegar (or *1 cup rice vinegar and no water)
• 1/2 water
• 1/3 cup white sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
1. Wash the cucumbers, removing the stems.
2. Slice the cucumbers and other ingredients you’re using as thinly as possible. (Note: for crunchy pickles, soak whole cucumbers in iced water for an hour, then rinse).
3. Mix the brine ingredients in an airtight jar. Close tightly, then shake till everything is mixed and the sugar is dissolved.
4. Add the cucumbers and vegetables, if using, to the brine. Leave for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or overnight in the fridge for more flavor.
*Alternatively, you can enjoy the pickles immediately using 1 cup of rice vinegar.
Store the cucumbers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Any longer, and they will lose their crisp and crunchy texture or become unsafe to eat. (Do not freeze.)