What to do with a bag of organic potatoes in the pantry, a slab of applewood smoked bacon in the fridge, and football games on Sundays? Well, combine these with homemade garlic aioli and you’ve got yourself a delectable gourmet snack!
(For the Candied Bacon)
- 1 package applewood smoked bacon (or your favorite type)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Season bacon with brown sugar and marinate overnight.
- Pan fry the bacon until cooked.
- Preheat oven to the lowest temperature (170° F is the lowest standard for our oven).
- Bake from 4 to 6 hours.
- Turn off the oven and air dry for another 4 hours with the oven door slightly ajar.
(For the Shoestring Fries)
- 4-6 large potatoes, clean, unpeeled and shoestring-cut (this is with a mandolin; but you can cut to your liking)
- Grapeseed or olive oil (You can also use vegetable oil)
- In a large pan, deep fry the potatoes until golden brown and crispy. Set aside on paper towels until ready to serve.
(For the Garlic Aioli)
Recipe adapted from Chef Richard Blais
- 1 large egg
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Dash of hot sauce, or to taste (optional)
- Fill a small saucepan with 3 inches of water and bring to a boil over medium heat. With a slotted spoon, lower the egg into the water and boil for 6 minutes. Remove the egg and put it in a small bowl of cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel the egg.
- Put the egg, garlic, lemon juice, Dijon, vinegar, salt, and white pepper into a blender and puree on low-speed. With the blender running, add the oil in a steady, slow stream, blending until emulsified and thickened. Add the hot sauce, if using, and blend on high-speed for about 1 minute. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. TIP: To make smoked aioli, simply add 3/4 teaspoons hickory smoke powder (which you’ll find sold with spices and other seasoning at the supermarket or online) to the egg mixture before adding the olive oil.
Serve fries with garlic aioli on the side and garnish with shaved Parmesan. Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to season. For spicy fries, season with chili flakes. Bon Appétit!
Comments are closed.