A few weeks ago what we thought to be a really tall, non-fragrant, honeysuckle tree turned out to be pomegranates! I was elated! Today I was all over the internet in search of a recipe for pomegranates; at the same token, I had a craving for a Moroccan style cuisine. So putting two and two together, I came up with a great dinner plan for the family.
Today, I made for you Moroccan Chicken with an easy Pomegranate Yogurt Dip. This delectable, comfort food is served alongside a beautiful Pomegranate Rice. Please enjoy!
- 1-2 lbs organic chicken breast and leg quarters
- 6-8 organic fingerling potatoes
- 1-2 organic carrots, cubed
- 1 large can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 small tomato paste
- 6 pearl onions
- 1 small box golden raisins
- Moroccan Style Seasoning (ground cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, turmeric, pepper, salt)
- 3-6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3-6 small apricots, cut in halves
- 2 tbsp mild, organic honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Pepper sauce (your preference, i.e. Tabasco Sauce)
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- Parsley or cilantro or both
- Pomegranate seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Large tagine or dutch oven
- Stir together Moroccan style seasoning (ground cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, turmeric, pepper, 1 teaspoon salt), and 3 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot, over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Brown half of chicken, skin sides down, about 8 minutes. Flip, cook about 3 minutes more, then transfer to a plate. Brown remaining chicken in the same manner.
- Add-in pearl onions and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic cloves and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add cilantro and parsley to the pot, reserving a few for garnish. Add-in fingerling potatoes, carrots, can tomatoes with the juice, tomato paste, chicken broth, soy sauce, pepper sauce, honey, cinnamon stick (optional), apricots, golden raisins, chicken, and any juices accumulated on plate. Reduce heat slightly and simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until chicken are fully cooked.
Serve the chicken over the pomegranate rice (recipe below) or couscous, topped with parsley, (and/or) cilantro, and pomegranate seeds.
Pomegranate Yogurt Dip
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 tsp. fine grain sea salt
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 12 fresh mint leaves, chopped (or mint flakes)
- Salt, to taste
- Great quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pistachios, chopped
- 3 tbsp. fresh pomegranate seeds
- Coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- On a cutting board, mince garlic. Place garlic in a small bowl, combine with salt, yogurt, parsley and mint. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, stir in salt to taste. Spoon into a favorite dish and serve drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with pistachio and pomegranate. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- 4-6 cups steamed rice
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil or butter)
- parsley, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds, plus extra for garnish
- 1/3 cup red onions, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pan, heat up 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Add-in the steamed rice.
- Add-in red onions, pomegranate seeds, and parsley. Mix ingredients with the rice and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and pomegranate seeds.