I don’t know about you but, as a stay-at-home food blogging, homemaking, dog sitting (…catch my drift?) mom, I can’t afford to just get up and out of the house to buy coffee drinks everyday! So how’s about a homemade version instead…made with organic, wholesome good stuff?!
So here we are, adapted from food.com, but done my way, of course 😉
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup strong coffee
- 1 cup low-fat milk or 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (You can use less sugar, if you wish. I don’t like my drink too sweet, thus I shorten it to 1 tablespoon instead)
- 2 cups ice (I used about 4 cups of crushed ice as I do like my frappe drink with lots of ice…)
- Homemade whipped cream (Recipe below)
- *Heavy whipped cream, sugar, and vanilla extract (Measurements to your liking. I made enough for two servings)
*In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.
Preheat oven to broil at 300°F.
- Spread shredded coconut on a baking sheet and toast coconut in the oven.
- Stir the coconut around every 2-3 minutes or so for even browning.
- After 10 to 15 minutes the shredded coconut should be light brown.
- Cool it off.
- Make double-strength coffee by brewing with twice the coffee required by your coffee maker.
- That should be 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per each cup of coffee.
- Chill before using.
- To make the drinks, combine cold coffee, milk, 1/3 cup of the toasted coconut, 1/3 cup chocolate syrup, and sugar in a blender.
- Blend for 15 to 20 seconds to dissolve sugar.
- Add ice and blend until ice is crushed and the drink is smooth.
- Pour drinks into two 16-ounce glasses.
- Garnish each drink with whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate, and a pinch of some of the remaining toasted coconut. Add a straw to each one if you want!