I don’t know about you but, as a stay-at-home food blogging, homemaking, dog sitting (…catch my drift?) mom, I can’t afford to just get up and out of the house to buy coffee drinks everyday! So how’s about a homemade version instead…made with organic, wholesome good stuff?!
So here we are, adapted from food.com, but done my way, of course 😉
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup strong coffee
- 1 cup low-fat milk or 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (You can use less sugar, if you wish. I don’t like my drink too sweet, thus I shorten it to 1 tablespoon instead)
- 2 cups ice (I used about 4 cups of crushed ice as I do like my frappe drink with lots of ice…)
- Homemade whipped cream (Recipe below)
- *Heavy whipped cream, sugar, and vanilla extract (Measurements to your liking. I made enough for two servings)
*In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.
Preheat oven to broil at 300°F.
- Spread shredded coconut on a baking sheet and toast coconut in the oven.
- Stir the coconut around every 2-3 minutes or so for even browning.
- After 10 to 15 minutes the shredded coconut should be light brown.
- Cool it off.
- Make double-strength coffee by brewing with twice the coffee required by your coffee maker.
- That should be 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per each cup of coffee.
- Chill before using.
- To make the drinks, combine cold coffee, milk, 1/3 cup of the toasted coconut, 1/3 cup chocolate syrup, and sugar in a blender.
- Blend for 15 to 20 seconds to dissolve sugar.
- Add ice and blend until ice is crushed and the drink is smooth.
- Pour drinks into two 16-ounce glasses.
- Garnish each drink with whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate, and a pinch of some of the remaining toasted coconut. Add a straw to each one if you want!
This looks so refreshing on a hot Summer day here in Hong Kong (like today! or this weekend!)! Just got our coffeemaker..excited to make this! 🙂 I love Starbucks Frap but I don’t want to buy them because they are so sweet and expensive haha!
Let me know what you think! My other fave from Starbucks is the cookie crumble (not sure what the true name is)…I’ll see if I can replicate, as well 😉
I think I’ve heard of cookie crumble before..seasonal drink, I think? My ultimate fave id Dark Mocha frap in the Philippines..HK doesn’t have it so I order Java Chip. Booo! Hehe..I will make this and will let you know how mine turns out:)
Comments are closed.