So this is exactly the kind of recipe you can dive into for those lazy, yet impatient days you may be having…as well as, when everything you need is readily available in the kitchen.
I’ve always been a fan of savory pastries. These are not only delicious, quite easy to make, and practical; they make the perfect anytime snack, as well!
Original recipe adapted from http://www.seasaltwithfood.com/2012/05/ham-and-cheese-croissants.html
Ingredients: (For the Chicken & Mushroom Croissants)
- 1 package (contains 2) puff pastry, thawed
- 16 slices of deli meat (I used chicken; but ham, or turkey are great, too!)
- A handful of mushrooms, sliced (If you have whole ones)
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese (I used a certified organic cheddar cheese from Costco)
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp of water
- Salt and fresh, ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven 400˚F.
- Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough slightly and cut into 4 squares. Do the same with the other dough.
- Place two slices of meat on a diagonal on each square and top with the cheese (or you can also place the cheese on the bottom first). Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fold each corner of the dough over the cheese and brush the tip with egg wash. Then press it gently into place.
- Brush the dough with egg wash and bake for about 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
TIP…the pastries will open up whilst baking in the oven, so when you take them out, press the ends slightly back into place (with a spatula, fork, spoon, etc.) while they are still hot.
For a vegetarian-friendly version, use the same ingredients, minus the meat. To enhance the flavor, I used a garlic-herb spread (olive oil, chopped garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper) alongside the remaining ingredients. Then placed the cheese on top of that; followed by mushrooms and a pinch of fresh rosemary.
That’s a great Sunday brunch idea. Yummm
A little cheat in the dough for this one…can’t wait 24 hours for it…hehe😉
Lol. I hear that. But I do luv to make puff pastry. So zennnn
Can’t help but LOVED your amazing looking bake! =D
Thank you so much😊
Comments are closed.