Ever in the mood for some down and dirty eating at the comfort of home, of course…well here’s your chance! I can’t so much give you the exact type of spices I used to marinate the ground turkey because I strongly believe in trying to make things uniquely your own. Below is just an impromptu guide on the making of this dish. In the spirit of hunger, I hope you will find it devouring on days when you feel like just being yourself.
Yields up to 8 meatballs.
- 1-2 lbs ground turkey (I used Foster Farms fresh ground turkey)
- Any spices, herbs you wish to make this dish as unique as you are. Measurements? how about a pinch of this and a pinch of that should do!
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppers
- 1 can fire roasted, organic tomatoes (or similar), undrained
- 1 whole fresh tomato, sliced
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 3-4 fresh basil
- Feta or Gorgonzola cheese or similar, i.e. goat cheese, mozzarella, etc.
- Olive oil
- 1 cup Panko or bread crumbs ( I used Panko)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- French baguette, preferably taking the spongy part of the bread out, oven-heated (optional)
- Condiments your preference, i.e. shredded lettuce, peperoncini, roasted mild green peppers
- Marinate the ground turkey with the spices and herbs of your choice. Mixing all ingredients well in a large bowl.
- Make 3-4 inch size meat balls and set aside in a separate bowl or plate.
- In a large bowl, prepare 1 cup of panko or bread crumbs. In a small bowl, prepare 1 egg, beaten.
- Roll each of the meatball into the beaten egg; then into the panko or bread crumbs; set aside until all of the meatballs are covered.
- In a large, heated non-stick skillet add olive oil; sauté the garlic.
- Add in the fresh ground turkey meatballs; sauté until it is golden brown on all sides.
- Add in fresh tomatoes; sauté for one minute; then add in the undrained can tomatoes.
- Season with the same herbs and spices you used for the meatball marinate, as well as, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with fresh basil and cheese before serving.
To prepare the bread…
Scoop out the inside of the French baguette, add in the meatballs with sauce, along with your choice of condiments.
Don’t be shy…dig in!–gcc
Hello Grace! Thanks for sharing! I must try this soon! Regards!
Comments are closed.