It feels like ages since I’ve blogged. A lot has taken place these past few months, including my mother’s passing last June. Lately, my moods regarding cooking and baking have been on and off, but I have kept myself active around the house, especially in the garden.
Today, I was in the kitchen for most of the day and wanted to share this recipe for pizza bread, along with probably one of the best pizza sauces I’ve ever made.
- Six French bread rolls
- Homemade pizza sauce*
- Mozzarella cheese
- Red chili flakes (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Other pizza toppings, such as crumbled sausages, bell peppers, black olives, fresh herbs, etc., as desired
- 1 (28-ounce) can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) unsalted butter
- 2 medium cloves garlic (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and split in half
- 2 (6-inch) sprigs of fresh basil with leaves attached
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Recipe preparation (for pizza sauce)
- Combine olive oil and unsalted butter in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-low until butter is melted.
- Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and a large pinch of salt and cook until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, onion halves, basil sprigs, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to the lowest setting until reduced by half, about 1 hour.
- Season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe preparation (for pizza bread)
- Prep the bread by cutting them in halves and hollowing the inside. Save the hollowed portions for making croutons, or place them aside for the birds to enjoy.
- Fill in bread halves with a tablespoon of the pizza sauce and spread evenly.
- Next, top with six pieces of pepperoni and a handful of mozzarella cheese evenly distributed. Top additionally with red chile flakes and fresh basil if desired. Set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining bread halves.
- Wrap pizza bread individually with saran wrap, and freeze until ready to consume.
- When ready, preheat the oven to convection broil.
- Add the desired amount of frozen pizzas onto a baking pan and place in the oven. Bake for approximately 5 minutes or until bread is golden brown with slightly crispy edges.