Whilst we still have an abundance of Meyer lemons from our wonderful next-door neighbor I thought I take advantage of it. So far I’ve managed to use both the zest and juice of the lemons for marinades and vinaigrette.
Today, what I have for you is a recipe for Meyer lemon spatchcock chicken that made for our delicious Saturday night dinner. I served it with a power green medley salad drizzled with, you guessed it, a Meyer lemon vinaigrette. This brings me to share that the ‘roasted’ part of the chicken I made was inspired by Jon & Vinny’s chicken dinner recipe via the @selenagomez #HBO Max original Selena + Chef series.
et voilà !…#dinner.
Meyer Lemon Spatchcock Chicken
- 1 wholesome organic chicken
- Juice of about 2 Meyer lemons
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons of Herb de Provence. If you don’t this, you can use dried herbs (such as thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
Preheat oven to 450°F
1. Place the *spatchcocked chicken in a large deep baking pan, add in the lemon juice, salt, pepper, herbs, garlic powder, red chili pepper flakes, and garlic cloves. Covering the chicken throughout, and stuffing the inside of the skins with the garlic cloves. Marinade overnight.
2. Remove chicken from marinating pan and place in the middle of a large baking pan covered with parchment paper. Bake for 50 minutes or until chicken is golden brown. Let rest for about 25 minutes. (Sidebar, after I’ve turned off the oven, I leave the chicken inside to rest. This makes for a crispy outer layer while keeping the chicken warm, tender, and juicy before serving).
Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Meyer lemon zest
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine the above ingredients in a small bowl and blend until dressing is smooth, for about a minute. Mix in with the power greens as desired.