I know, I know for some you it’s not exactly the Kobe beef of choice…but if you have not tried beef tongue cooked the authentic French way, then you are truly missing out! I give my hubby 100% credit for cooking the best beef tongue I’ve ever had. It’s a must-try…at least once.
So a little foodie tidbit on beef tongue, which I’ve grown to love. One day, on a spur of the moment decision for lunch, I stumbled upon a Taqueria that sold beef tongue tacos, burritos, etc. Because I am always open to trying some new exotic dish at least once, I was sold on a solid decision for lunch. When I brought it home, I was excited to share with hubby that I got beef tongue tacos for lunch. He then explained that he grew up eating beef tongue in France…so going by childhood memories he decided to cook it for us one day and since then I was sold.
- 1 lb beef tongue
- 1 teaspoon, your favourite herb and spices
- 1 cup, your favourite red cooking wine
- 1 can, tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Dutch oven or slow cooker
- Clean it.
- Season with your favourite herbs and spices, along with 1 cup of red wine, 1 can of undrained can tomatoes.
- SLOW COOKER: For tender meat, slow cook in high heat for six hours; for shredded meat, slow cook in low heat for 8 hours.
- DUTCH OVEN: For tender meat, cook in the oven at 190 degrees F for 6 hours; for shredded meat, cook in the oven at 190 degrees F for 8 hours. NOTE…be sure to wrap foil under the cover of the Dutch oven to lock in the juices.
- After it has cooked, remove the skin. The rest of the tongue is now ready to serve.
To prepare the beef tongue tacos/or burritos…
- Mexican rice (or plain white, steamed)
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Fresh onions, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges
- Pickled carrots
- Pickled jalapeños
- Fresh radishes, sliced