I chose to replicate this doggy treat recipe (with an added hint of personal touches) because it is easy, simply delicious (based on how our doggies reacted each time I gave them one…right out of the oven if it was possible for them!), it smelled divine and what dog wouldn’t want home-baked treats?! Moreover, if I changed an ingredient or two in the recipe, it’s very human-friendly! How awesome is that? One more thing…don’t called them doggy biscuits, as they are indeed ‘cookies’ by look and texture alone.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 banana
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In another small bowl, mash the banana with the back of a spoon [I used a fork by mistake and it was okay, too 😉].
- Pour the milk into the banana and whisk together until well blended.
- Combine the milk mixture into the flour and mix together until doughy (I used a spoon to mix it; placed it on a board and continued mixing it with my hands).
- Roll dough into small balls and once all rolled, flatten them with the back of a spoon. (I used a roller to flatten the dough about 1/2 inch thick on the board and used hearts and circles biscuit cutters instead) NOTE: The bananas give the dough a sticky texture in some areas, so keep 1/2 a cup of extra wheat dough handy to add onto it as you continue to knead gently.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. [the texture for the treats as they cooled for about 5 minutes were chewy, like any type of cookies ideally should be 😉]