A favorite well-rounded dessert, Saba con Yelo (Banana Plantain in Syrup with Crushed Ice), “minatamis na saging” is made with Saba bananas, commonly found in Asia, especially the Philippines.
- 6-8 saging na saba (plantain bananas)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 drop of vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups of water
- Evaporated milk to taste
- 2-3 cups crushed ice
- Pour water into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla extract. Stir well until sugar is dissolved in water.
- Place bananas and simmer over medium-low heat until the banana is soft, and the sauce thickens and caramelizes. (Approximately 15 minutes or more). Turn off the heat.
- Place bananas in a bowl/or tall dessert glass and pour the sauce over. Let it cool down for a minute.
- Top with crushed ice and drizzle in evaporated milk.
Make up to 4 individual servings.