Egg-lemon sauce (Avgolemono) is the secret ingredient to finish of a variety of Greek dishes. In this instance, the egg-lemon sauce acts as a thickening agent, thereby giving a unique, creamy texture and tangy homely flavor to the Dolmades.
• 1 jar grape vine leaf
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 2 cloves chopped garlic
• 1 bunch green onion, chopped
• 3 Tbsp fresh chopped mint
• 3 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
• 1 Tbsp fresh chopped oregano
• 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
• 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon
• ⅓ cup long-grain white rice, raw
• 1 lb(s) lean, organic ground beef
• 2 cups stock (i.e., chicken, beef, or vegetable)
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• Juice of 1 lemon
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Kosher or Sea salt
Grape Leaves Stuffing
- In a large pan sauté onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add-in ground meat, rice, mint, dill, oregano, parsley, rice, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients well. Simmer in medium-low heat until rice is cooked and fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- Remove grape leaves from the jar and open up onto a big plate. Remove one leaf at a time (bigger ones are best), and place onto a flat surface; with the shiny side down.
- Place a small amount (about 1 generous tablespoon) of the filling toward the stem side of the leaf and then roll up (tuck in the left and right side as you roll) toward the top of the leaf.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot add-in a teaspoon of olive oil. Start by placing some of the smaller grape leaves on the bottom of the pot. Then arrange in layers the rolled up grape leaves with each grape leaf close together. Once the entire grape leaves are arranged, add-in stock, juice of 1 lemon, dry wine and remaining tablespoons of olive oil.
- In order to prevent the grape leaves from opening up during cooking, place a small flat plate on top of the grape leaves. Simmer on a low heat for about 45 minutes. While waiting for the grape leaves to cook, start making the egg-lemon sauce.
• warm stock or broth
• juice from 2-3 lemons
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp corn starch
- Beat the eggs, add the lemon juice and the corn starch, then temper with some of the stock from the pot. Follow by pouring the sauce over the dolmades. Shake the pot over low heat so that the sauce thickens and then serve.
Makes approximately 35-40 Dolmades.