Humbly grateful with our gardener for the bounty of his homegrown zucchini and squash that he shares with us from time to time. One in particular is the pattypan squash. Thus, to satisfy my curiosity, I did some research.
After having tried out this recipe, with its delicate and buttery flavor, I now have a crush on this daintily tender squash.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large patty-pan squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- To prepare gremolata, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Set gremolata aside.
- To prepare squash, combine patty pan squash, zucchini, and 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange squash, cut side down, in a single layer on a baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until squash is tender and lightly brown, stirring after 7 minutes. Sprinkle gremolata over the squash. Serve warm or cold.
Original recipe source: Cooking Light Magazine, May 2010
This recipe pairs quite well as a side dish for my Filipino-style Pork BBQ!