This shortcut version is more pickled than fermented. Either way, you’ll love this as a condiment with your favorite Asian cuisines…
- 1 head Napa cabbage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 to 2 cups water
- 4 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- Place cabbage in a large bowl. Toss repeatedly with salt.
- Add water and let stand for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse thoroughly in a colander to remove salt. Drain well, then pat dry between paper towels.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, then pack into canning jars. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
Original recipe adapted from Raley’s Something Extra, Spring 2014 Issue